VCSU Art Gallery

Virtual Artist Talk with Ekow Ephrim

Tune in on Friday, September 25, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. to hear VCSU Art Department faculty member Ekow Ephrim present a talk on his exhibition “The Space In-Between”. The exhibition will run through October 15, 2020.

Take a virtual tour of the exhibition.

“The Space In-Between” Flyer

Artist Statement
Ekow N. Ephrim

Historically, graphic designers have been mediators rather than creators of the text, thus a seemingly indestructible notion of the need for clients. Challenging this paradigm, and toward my design philosophy, led me to ‘design for social impact’. In the absence of the client, what is the designer’s role in society and their contribution to the design discipline? What place does self-initiated, non-client-driven design have in the life of a graphic designer? This vacuum created in the absence of the client is what I translate as ‘The Space In-Between’.

As a visual communicator, my utmost goal is to develop sensitivity towards my immediate environment to identify critical social issues and address them using graphic design. To me, the role of graphic design transcends visual communication problem-solving. I like to use graphic design to educate and propel social action. As a social provocateur, I focus on graphic design’s ability to persuade, provoke, and impact.

Through this lens, I interrogate institutional, economic, social, and political systems to define opportunities for critical courses and change. I rely on the power of visual storytelling, graphic simplicity, emotions, and connections to convey the message. For me, a very complex world has to be simplified and design is a way out of confusion.

This exhibition, ‘The Space In-between’, features my experimental work and part of MFA thesis project.